Considering Selling Your Home This Spring? These Seven Things Can Increase Your Value
The Spring buying season is upon us and it’s the perfect time to get your house ready for potential buyers. Here are 7 simple things to do to increase your property value and entice potential buyers:
1. Freshen up the paint – A fresh coat of paint can go a long way. Choose neutral colors to appeal to the most potential buyers. Painting the interior and exterior of the home can be done for the cost of a few cans of paint and sweat equity up to thousands for a professional, but can greatly increase the value of the home.
2. Declutter – Decluttering is essential when it comes to getting your house ready for sale. A clean and organized home gives off a good impression to buyers and helps them visualize the house as their own. It's always a good idea to remove personal effects and try to pair down any trinkets and keepsakes.
3. Landscaping – A well-maintained landscape can be an eye-catcher for potential buyers. Plant flowers, trim trees and bushes, and keep the lawn mowed. This can cost anywhere between $1,000 and $5,000 depending on the size of the landscape.
4. Seismic Retrofit – This is especially important if your home is located in an earthquake-prone area. Having a seismic retrofit done can cost around $10,000, but varies widely depending on the amount of work needed. Having a seismic retrofit done is sure to increase the value of your home, particularly if it's an older house. If you are interested in a free assessment, book an appointment with Seattle Seismic.
5. Upgrade the kitchen – Updating the kitchen can be a great way to increase your property value and entice potential buyers. A simple kitchen update can cost around $5,000 and can include replacing countertops, upgrading appliances and painting cabinets.
6. Update the bathrooms – Updating the bathrooms is another great way to improve property value and make it more attractive to buyers. Depending on how much work needs to be done, a bathroom update could run you a couple thousand up to tens of thousands of dollars.
7. Stage the house – Staging is the process of arranging furniture and decor to make the home look its best. Staging will likely run you at least $1,500, but it's a proven way to make your home look more appealing, inviting to buyers and command top dollar.
By taking the time to do these 7 simple things, you can increase your property value and make your home much more attractive to potential buyers. Good luck with the Spring buying season!